It's done!

I posted a few weeks ago about being dx w/ endo and that I was thinking about doing the surgery. Here's the update I sent my family a few hours after I got home yesterday:
I went into the surgery center at this morning at 7. I was a little overwhelmed cause they give you such horrid release forms to sign, but they started an IV a little after that w/ fluids and something to make me less of a head case. The anesthesiologist said I was about his 38,000th (yes, that many zeroes!) patient. They assured me several times they give the minimum dosage possible and then fine tune to make sure it works. I woke up around 9:45 with a dry, scratchy throat and feeling like I did too many crunches-like that would ever happen!
After I was "out", they put in a breathing tube down my throat. I hate things in my throat and around my neck, so I was glad I was unaware of that part. The doctor said I had moderate endometriosis, which is stage 3 out 4. When I went in for my annual exam last month, she found a tender spot, then did an ultrasound which showed signs of endometriosis, including growth all over my left ovary. She drained that cyst, as well as cleaned up the other areas stuff was growing. There were also some fibroids on my uterine wall, so she took care of those. My right ovary was out of position, so she put it back where it belongs. I didn't think they could just rearrange organs! They also injected dye through my tubes to make sure they were open and working. Finally good news-there were no twists or blockages! Between what they've done today and some bloodwork last month, I've done almost a full infertility work up. Now that the endometriosis has been treated, it looks like everything should be working.
I'm feeling decent now. They injected some CO2 into my abdomen and it takes a while for all the gas to dissipate, so under my ribs and up in shoulders hurts, but it's already improved a lot. I have 3 little incisions-one under my belly button, and two a little lower and towards the sides. Belly buttons should have lint in them, not cameras! I took a 2 hour nap earlier and can sit up well, and walk veeerrry slowly. My chest/throat feel like the end of a cold when you have that dry cough that feels like you just can't cough hard enough to do any good, but that's also improving fairly quickly.
Lizzie had a fun morning playing with friends and has been so sweet. She has to "check my tummy" every once in a while, has given me plenty of kisses, and is currently coloring. I have no intention of doing too much. When else do I have an excuse to stay in bed for 2 days, watching movies and being waited upon?

Today's update:
The CO2 pains are not quite as constant, but still pretty intense. My incisions and muscles are all more tender. My belly is swollen so I look like I just had a baby, and I can only wear jammies. My belly button hurts like crazy. I was not liking the effects of percoset, so I called the dr. and switched over to some vicodin I just happened to have. I've felt like I'm hyperventilating for 2 days, but it's even worse on the percoset and that makes my heart rate crazy. It makes me really tired, but I'm so hopped up I can't fall asleep. The vicodin and ibuprofen seem to have fewer side effects, but I'm hesitant about pain killers so I've only been taking half doses.
We had a sweet friend bring by incredible spaghetti and meatballs, plus salad, bread, and cookies. For some reason I don't know I'm hungry until I'm to the point of mean and shaky, so it was nice to have some yummy food without waiting for it to cook.

Comments

Queen Mother said…
Well this is probably your answer!! (the moderate endo.) It always so much better to have an answer and something that they can fix! So are they putting you on fertility drugs straight away to take advantage of the increased fertility after your lap??

(I've had laps for IF too, the recovery isn't too bad. You'll be feeling better in no time!!) =)
Dirk and Trish said…
I have a follow up in a week or 2 (I have to call and schedule, but didn't feel up to it yesterday), and I'm on "pelvic rest" until then. I'm going to ask her what to do from here and how long we try before pursuing the next step since I am on a time crunch (before it would reappear). Today is better, but I got wiped out making a toaster strudel, so another few days of laziness ahead.

Popular posts from this blog