Wednesday W's (a day late)

What are your children's names? How did you choose them?

Comments

Jen L said…
Margaret Marian is our one and only. Margaret is my great-grandmother who came from Scotland. And Marian is my favorite great-aunt from the other side of the family who died when I was young. Oddly enough, I later learned that Marian's middle name was Margaret. We always called her Aunt "Pet" (I also had an aunt Toad) so I didn't know until after we named Margaret. We like names with either family or church connection.
Melisa said…
Our first was a surprise. We were going to use Tehya for a girl, but couldn't think of a boy's name. I went through a baby name book cover to cover and kept going back to Jaden. After my miscarriage and waiting months to get pregnant again, the meaning, "God has heard" seemed especially appropriate. I later found out my cousin named his boy Jayden a couple months earlier. And another cousin named her's Jaden last year. Oops. :)

Daven we went through the baby name book, AGAIN. I really liked Davin, but we wanted to have a theme with the names. So, we chose 5 letter names with an 'a' and an 'e' for numbers 2 and 4.

Jaden
Daven
Calet

Calet was from Brad doing his Cherokee geneology. One of his great-grandmas was named Ca Let See meaning sugar or sweet in Cherokee. We made it Calet to fit our little theme.

When (if) we have any more, it would be Kaleb for a boy and Tayeh for a girl.
Stephanie said…
Skyler-just a name I heard back in high school and have loved ever since. Her middle name is Lee, same as mine! I plan to use family names for middle names, and whatever I like for first names!
Hope said…
I am not one to name my child after a person, themes, or tradition. (Not that I have a problem with other people doing it. The problem lies wtih people expecting me to because it's been done in the past) I'm actually a tradition breaker. Much to my families objection. I simply didn't like the name so I wasn't about to name my child it because someone years ago liked it. We also don't announce a name until baby is born, due to the name expectations. We had huge problems with our first because we were planning on breaking tradition, so we stopped telling people. With so many divorces in the family it becomes very political as well. IE- you named this one after his dad, why can't the next be after mine sort of thing...

We choose Lillian McKenzie, because we simply liked it.

Whew- Sorry probably way more than you wanted - it's somewhat of a touchy topic. This spew needs to be directed at in-laws and parents, but it falls upon deaf ears :D (haha for those of you who didn't catch my lame joke, my mom's deaf)
Melisa said…
Hope, do you sign? I took ASL through college and I love it!
Noelle said…
Elias Truman:

Meaning of Elias is "The Lord is my God". Just loved the name.
Elias is a forerunner to prepare the way, and the spirit and power of Elijah is to come after, holding the keys of power, building the Temple to the capstone, placing the seals of the Melchizedek Priesthood upon the house of Israel, and making all things ready; then Messiah comes to His Temple, which is last of all" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 340)

Middle Name: Truman
This is after one of our very good friends, Truman Madsen.

Perry Grace:
Perry is actually the masculine spelling, but we liked it better than Peri. Wanted something different and unique. Saw that name on the credits of "Frasier" ..Peri Gilpin. Really liked the name.

Middle name: Grace
my husband really liked the name but it's too common for a 1st name. The name means "blessing", and she is truly a blessing.
Melisa said…
I love Truman Madsen! He is friends with my grandparents and is just so great to us!
Mamapierce said…
Anna Elisabeth - the name "Anna" was named after "Anna Belle" who is my husband's great grandmother - the first person to join the church in that family! "Elisabeth" is a name that we liked.

Keith Nikita - "Keith" is my grandpa's name, he has fought in 3 wars and is a very strong man. "Nikita" is my son's given name. (Adopted from Ukraine, Nov 2008)

Kristina Louise - "Kristina" is a Russian name that we liked and "Louise" is my grandmother's name. She is the glue of our family!
Mamapierce said…
Oh and Kristina Louise was also adopted from Ukraine in Nov 2008. :o)
Hope said…
Melisa, I could sign before I could speak. I grew up signing.
Melisa said…
We use Signing Time to teach my kids sign. We love it!
Abby said…
samuel bronson... bronson after his dad. i just have always really liked the name sam. I like good solid names for boys.

Popular posts from this blog