Threatened miscarriage.

So friends, things do not look good for my fledgling pregnancy. I started spotting at the weekend and it is progressing to heavier and heavier cramping and bleeding. I called my doc on Monday and saw a NP Tuesday. She did a pelvic exam, confirmed that I'm bleeding, and did a transvaginal ultrasound. She said that what she saw looked like a 4 week embryo, not a 7 week embryo like we were expecting. They also ran a blood test to check HcG -- Thursday they will run a second one. If the number has roughly doubled, then the pregnancy is probably still viable. If the number is the same or decreased, well...looks like this little sprout won't make it, unfortunately.

My suspicion is that the fertilized egg stopped dividing, and I'll be miscarrying. At this point, I don't know what's worse -- the emotional and physical pain of the miscarriage, or having a viable pregnancy get off to such a scary, rough start. With Richard I was on tenterhooks for 7 long weeks once they discovered he was too small and I had too little amniotic fluid at 28 weeks -- I can't imagine what my frame of mind would be like for the last 33 weeks of this pregnancy.

To top it all off, I spent a good chunk of Wednesday in the hospital with Richard, who was sick, dehydrated, struggling with ketones and low blood sugar. I couldn't get food or drink into him, which would have enabled me to get his blood sugars up so I could give him extra insulin to help clear the ketones.

It's just been a really hard, awful week.

Comments

Jen L said…
Oh, Katie! What an awful week for you!!! I'll give you a call today. Hope everything with Richard gets settled so you can spend a little time on yourself as well!
Melisa said…
I'm so sorry, sweetie. Know you are being prayed for. HUGS!
Hope said…
My heart goes out to you. Your in our thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog